Monday, September 1, 2008

Week Eleven

I have been finding new recipes to use with our wheat. I came across this "No-knead raisin bread" that I thought looked really good. So I will share with you -

1/2 C sugar 1 pkg. dry yeast
1/3 C soft margarine 1/4 C warm water
1 tsp. salt 2 eggs, beaten
1/3 C boiling water 4-41/2 C sifted whole wheat flour
1 C seedless raisins
1 C canned milk

The topping: 1 tbsp. granulated sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon

Mix sugar, margarine, and salt in large bowl. Add boiling water and stir until margarine is melted. Add milk. Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to first mixture. Stir in eggs and raisins. Add flour, one cup at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Cover and let rise until double in bulk. Beat down batter, then beat for 2 minutes. Turn into well greased 10-inch tube pan, smoothing evenly with spoon. Let rise until double in bulk, about 45 minutes. Sprinkle top with sugar and cinnamon, and bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes.

I am so excited to try this out. I was amazed at how many things you can use your wheat flour for. Cookies, cakes, breads, rolls, pie crust, seasoned flour for meats, stew, casseroles, soups, pancakes, etc. I don't know why in my mind I limited our wheat use to cracked hot cereal and bread. If anyone has recipes to share please do - I really want this to be interactive - and have not had much success with that - Thanks!

WEEK ELEVEN: 10 lbs. sugar, 1 box salt

No comments: