Sunday, July 13, 2008

Week Six

This last week I was thinking about how to use my dehydrated refried beans from the cannery. Also, that I had never tried the soup mix I purchased - how was that going to go over with the kids? The beans are not that bad when reconstituted but my children did not want to try them just as they were. I have a great recipe called "Tostado Pie". My children gobbled it up and did not even know I had used the dehydrated beans! Yeah for me! Next I am going to use the soup mix - of course, I am waiting until it is a little colder out:) Learning how to use some of the foods that we are not that familiar with before we need to is very helpful. I feel like they will eat it because they will be hungry but children can be stubborn so if they have been introduced to it before hand then you can learn a lot of things. 1. You will know if you even want to purchase it again. 2. They end up loving it and you need at least another case of it. 3. They sort of like it and with the right recipes you can get them to eat it. Again, as always this will help with the rotation of the food.

Tostado Pie -

1lb. ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 pkg. chili seasoning mix (I only use half)
1 can refried beans ( I reconstituted enough to equal 1 can)
1 can crescent dinner rolls
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 c shredded lettuce
tomato chopped

Brown beef and onions. Stir in chili seasoning and beans. Place roll dough in ungreased pie plate (push dough together until it looks like a pie shell). spoon in hot meat mixture. Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese. Bake @ 375 degrees for 15-25- minutes (until the dough is cooked) Top with lettuce, tomatoes and remaining cheese. (For my family I now double this recipe and cook it in a 9x13 pan)

Taco Dip-

1 lb. ground beef cooked and drained. Add 1 pkg. taco seasoning.
1 large can refried beans
8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Layer hamburger first in a 9x13 pan, then beans, then cheese's. Put in oven until cheese melts. Spread sour cream on top after removing from oven.

Happy Cooking!!!!

WEEK SIX: 1 bottle aspirin (500 tablets) or what you use for pain relief medicine.

No comments: