Sunday, June 8, 2008

Week two

Turn your food storage into your own personal store. Wouldn't that be cool to just shop out of your cupboard. I do know of one friend who did this. It was amazing but took her a while to build up the inventory. I used to think I could not do this because money was always tight. Well, I have decided that this is my goal for this year. As I rotate things I am going to be shopping out of my storage but replacing as I go, not waiting until it's all gone to replace it. This also helps you rotate your food on a regular basis. Be sure to date everything as you put it away. I just mark the month and year it was purchased. Next week I will talk about shelf life of foods. As you shop watch the sales and stock up on certain items that you know you will be using on a regular basis. You know paper products, cleaning supplies, condiments, etc. I will be adding these things occasionally on the weekly buy but by buying when things are on sale you build inventory and then shop out of your stash!

In addition to the food purchase each week buy a container of water. I picked up a gallon of water when doing my regular shopping. Date it with a permanent marker. Water in plastic containers stores for one year.

WEEK TWO: 5 boxes of macaroni and cheese, 4 cans tomato soup

correction: last week I said this was for one person, but in reality if you buy everything that is listed you will have a year supply for two people, so if you double it is for four people, and so on. I hope that is not to confusing and sorry for the error.

1 comment:

Holwege Family said...

Hi Candy, I found this through Toshia's blog. This will be so helpful to me, as I have made it my goal for the year. You mentioned water storage, do you have any info. on how long water can be stored in mylar bags? I have some and don't know how long they are good for. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and exprience with everyone. Food storage just is not discussed as much these days.

Jessie Holwege