Sunday, June 15, 2008

Week Three

So this week I started my little "store". I do not have lots but it is a start. As I take from the shelf I will add that to next weeks grocery list. Winco this week had bar-b-que sauce on sale for $.78. Then there was a coupon for $1.00 off of three bottles. I bought 12 bottles and paid $5.36 for all 12. That was like $.45 a bottle. Now that was not on my list at all but I could not pass up the bargain. We like this sauce on many things so it was the deal of the week for me. James E Faust said in conference in 1986 "Every father and mother are the family's storekeepers. They should store whatever their own family would like to have in the case of an emergency...some have said, 'We have followed this counsel in the past and have never had need to use our year's supply, so we have difficulty keeping this in mind as a major priority.' Perhaps following this counsel could be the reason why they have not needed to use their reserve. By continued rotation of the supply it can be kept usable with no waste" I love this quote. Especially as I am thinking of my storage as my home store. I have not rotated my food supply correctly and I really think this will help me be more aware of what I have. Buying the bar-b-que sauce this week I added food that my family will eat.

WEEK THREE: 3 cans of mushroom soup, 2 1/2 pound jar of peanut butter

NOTE: A question about storing water in mylar bags has been asked. I have used them in the past but did not move them with me. Everything I read still says to rotate every one to two years. Because no sunlight gets to the water I think two years is the minimum time for rotating the water. I have found lots of good information about storing water and will share more details next week about that. Thank you for the question and please keep asking so we all can learn:)

1 comment:

Venetia Fields said...

Did the $5.63 come out of the $20.00?